Passport services are available by appointment only.
Our regulations do not permit us to extend the validity of an existing passport. When a passport expires, you may apply for a new one. You must apply in person for passport renewal, unless you qualify to use Passport Application Form DS-82.
U.S. embassies and consulates cannot issue U.S. passports abroad, except in emergency cases. Embassies and consulates accept applications and forward them to the United States for completion. We strongly encourage applicants to apply early for renewal of expiring passports.
After accepting the passport application, we will return your passport to you and forward your application to the United States for issuance. We will notify you when we receive your new passport. You, or someone you authorize, should then visit our office with identification, an authorization letter, if applicable, your passport, and the fee receipt. We must cancel your old passport when we hand over your new passport.
This process takes a minimum of seven business days.
To apply for a replacement passport, you must submit the following:
- Acurrent or expired U.S. passport. If your passport is lost or stolen, please refer to our information on lost and stolen passports.
- Two (2) identical photographs taken within the last six months that measure 50 mm by 50 mm. Pictures must be clear, front view, full-face, taken in normal street attire without a hat or dark glasses, and printed on thin paper with a plain light (white or off-white) background. The photos may be in color or black and white. Digitized photos must meet the previously stated qualifications and will be accepted for use at the discretion of Passport Services.
- Identification for applicants: Sometimes applicants look different from the photograph in their passport. We therefore recommend that applicants bring in an identification card and photographs of themselves taken over a period of several years in order to demonstrate how the physical appearance has changed.
- Properly completed DS-11 (PDF 100 KB) or DS-82 form (blue or black ink only)
- Proper fees (PDF 146 KB), payable in cash or by credit card, in U.S. dollars or Omani rials.
Note: If you schedule an appointment for passport services, please remember to bring two forms of identification. The guards will need to keep one form of identification while you are in the building.