Apply for a Minor Passport

Passport services are available by appointment only.

Any child under 16 years of age is a minor. To apply for a passport for a minor, please submit the following documents to the Consular Section:

  1. Evidence of U.S. citizenship (current or expired U.S. passport, original U.S. birth certificate or Consular Report of Birth Abroad);
  2. Application for Passport typed or filled out in black or blue ink;
  3. Two (2) identical photographs, either color or black-and-white, taken within the last six months. These photographs must measure 2×2 inches (5×5 cm) with a white background. The photographs should be clear, front view, full-face, and taken in normal street attire without a hat or dark glasses;
  4. Proof of the minor’s relationship to the parents (original U.S. birth certificate or Consular Report of Birth Abroad showing names of parents);
  5. Passport fee (PDF 146 KB), payable in cash or by credit card.  For information on current fees.

Both parents or legal guardians should accompany a minor to the Consular Section when he/she applies for a passport since they must sign the Form DS-11.  The parents or legal guardians must bring their passports. If one or both of the parents or legal guardians cannot accompany the child, the person in loco parentis must present his/her passport and a notarized statement from the parent(s) or legal guardian(s) authorizing the person(s) to make the application. The statement should include the child’s complete name, date of birth, and place of birth. If only one parent or legal guardian accompanies the minor child, U.S. law requires a notarized letter of consent to make the application from the other parent or legal guardian. If one parent or legal guardian has been granted sole custody of the minor child, you must submit evidence of this.

Note: If you schedule an appointment for passport services, please remember to bring two forms of identification.  The guards will need to keep one form of identification