Citizenship Services

We provide a variety of services for United States Citizens living in, or visiting Oman, seeking to document their citizenship, apply for their first U.S. passport, or renew a U.S. passport. We are open for appointments Sunday-Thursday, and Muscat’s Consular Section is closed to the public on U.S. and Omani national holidays.

Please note: All of the services listed below are by appointment only.  If you have not completed all the required forms, you may be turned away and asked to reschedule a new appointment.  There is no walk-in service for United States citizens who require a service related to passports, citizenship or birth registration.

Already Documented U.S. Citizens

If you have recently been issued any of the citizenship documents listed below, you may immediately begin your application for your first U.S. passport. If you are no longer in possession of any of these documents, you must obtain a certified copy from the issuing authority, before proceeding with acquiring a U.S. passport.

Once you are in possession of one of the listed documents, please see our instructions for applying for your first U.S. passport.

Documenting Citizenship for the First Time

If you are under the age of 18 and were born outside the United States, but have not been previously documented as a U.S. citizen, you will have to obtain a Consular Report of Birth Abroad.

If you are over the age of 18 and were born outside the United States, but have not been previously documented as a U.S. citizen, you should review the information that explains whether or not your parent(s) were able to transmit U.S. citizenship to you at birth. If, based on this information, you believe you have a claim to U.S. citizenship, please make an appointment and follow the instructions provided for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad.

Loss of U.S. citizenship is a serious and irrevocable act which deserves your thoughtful consideration. It is imperative that you fully understand the nature of its consequences prior to requesting a Certificate of Loss of Nationality. If you decide that this is the course of action you wish to pursue, there are several steps you need to take including arranging an appointment to come into the Embassy to sign the Statement of Understanding, the Loss of Citizenship Questionnaire and/or the Oath of Renunciation, in the presence of a Consular Officer. Please note that the Statement of Understanding clearly states that the action you are taking is irrevocable.

Remember that expatriation is a personal right and can never be exercised by another person (including parents and/or legal guardians).

Become familiar with legal requirements and possible expatriating acts before beginning this process. Pay particular attention to your right to request an informal initial appointment to discuss your possible loss of citizenship with a consular official over the phone or in-person prior to your final interview.  For questions related to expatriation tax and possible tax implications, please consult with the Internal Revenue Service.

Required Fees

You will be required to pay a non-refundable fee of $2,350 USD, or it’s equivalent in Omani Rial.

Required Documents

In order to permanently renounced your U.S. citizenship, you should gather the following documents:

  1. Evidence of U.S. citizenship; (such as your most recent U.S. passport, or U.S. birth certificate if you are not in possession of your U.S. passport)
  2. U.S. Consular Report of Birth Abroad
  3. Bio-pages of all current foreign passports
  4. Certificates of Naturalization for any country, including the United States, if applicable
  5. Certificates of Citizenship for any country, including the United States, if applicable
  6. Evidence of any name changes, if applicable (for example marriage or divorce certificates, court orders or deed polls)
  7. Completed form DS-4079 – download the form, and bring it with you to your appointment
  8. Completed Loss of Citizenship Questionnaire (112 KB) – download the form and bring it with you
  9. Completed Informal Loss of Citizenship Acknowledgement (12 KB)  you must download, print, sign, scan, and send the document to us at, before your appointment.

Generally, immediate family members may accompany passport or CRBA applicants to their appointment interviews at a U.S. embassy or consulate, and all minor children must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.  Passport or CRBA applicants also have the option of being accompanied by an attorney at their appointment interview.  Attendance by any third party, including an attorney, accompanying an applicant is subject to the following parameters designed to ensure an orderly appointment interview process and to maintain the integrity of the adjudication of the application(s):

o   Given space limitations in the consular section, not more than one attendee at a time will be allowed to accompany an applicant (or the applicant’s parent or guardian if the applicant is a minor).

o   Attendance by an attorney does not excuse the applicant and/or the minor applicant’s parent or guardian from attending the appointment interview in person.

o   The manner in which a passport or CRBA appointment interview is conducted, and the scope and nature of the inquiry, shall at all times be at the discretion of the consular officer, following applicable Departmental guidance.

o   It is expected that attorneys will provide their clients with relevant legal advice prior to, rather than at, the appointment interview, and will advise their clients prior to the appointment interview that the client will participate in the appointment interview with minimal assistance.

o   Attorneys may not engage in any form of legal argumentation during the appointment interview and before the consular officer.

o   Attendees other than a parent or guardian accompanying a minor child may not answer a consular officer’s question on behalf or in lieu of an applicant, nor may they summarize, correct, or attempt to clarify an applicant’s response, or interrupt or interfere with an applicant’s responses to a consular officer’s questions.

o   To the extent that an applicant does not understand a question, s/he should seek clarification from the consular officer directly.

o   The consular officer has sole discretion to determine the appropriate language(s) for communication with the applicant, based on the facility of both officer and applicant and the manner and form that best facilitate communication between the consular officer and the applicant.  Attendees may not demand that communications take place in a particular language solely for the benefit of the attendee.  Nor may attendees object to or insist on the participation of an interpreter in the appointment interview, to the qualifications of any interpreter, or to the manner or substance of any translation.

o   No attendee may coach or instruct applicants as to how to answer a consular officer’s question.

o   Attendees may not object to a consular officer’s question on any ground (including that the attendee regards the question to be inappropriate, irrelevant, or adversarial), or instruct the applicant not to answer a consular officer’s question.  Attendees may not interfere in any manner with the consular officer’s ability to conduct all inquiries and fact-finding necessary to exercise his or her responsibilities to adjudicate the application.

o   During a passport or CRBA appointment interview, attendees may not discuss or inquire about other applications.

o   Attendees may take written notes, but may not otherwise record the appointment interviews.

o   Attendees may not engage in any other conduct that materially disrupts the appointment interview.  For example, they may not yell at or otherwise attempt to intimidate or abuse a consular officer or staff, and they may not engage in any conduct that threatens U.S. national security or the security of the embassy or its personnel.  Attendees must follow all security policies of the Department of State and the U.S. embassy or consulate where the appointment interview takes place.

Attendees may not engage in any conduct that violates this policy and/or otherwise materially disrupts the appointment interview.  Failure to observe these parameters will result in a warning to the attendee and, if ignored, the attendee may be asked to leave the appointment interview and/or the premises, as appropriate.  It would then be the applicant’s choice whether to continue the appointment interview without the attendee present, subject to the consular officer’s discretion to terminate the appointment interview.  The safety and privacy of all applicants awaiting consular services, as well as of consular and embassy personnel, is of paramount consideration.