Report Birth Abroad

The law relating to the acquisition of U.S. citizenship abroad by virtue of birth is complex, but two basic rules apply:

  1. A child born outside of the United States to two U.S. citizen parents acquires U.S. citizenship at birth, or
  2. A child born outside of the United States to one U.S. citizen parent and one non-citizen parent can acquire U.S. citizenship at birth if the U.S. citizen parent can demonstrate that s/he was physically present in the United States for a minimum of five years, at least two of which were after the age fourteen, prior to the birth of the child.

To make an appointment to register the birth of your child, please visit our U.S. Citizens Services appointment website.

At the time of your appointment, you must bring the child to the Consular Section and present the following:

  1. Child’s original birth certificate in English, plus two photocopies;
  2. Parents’ original passports, plus two photocopies;
  3. Parents’ original marriage certificate, plus one photocopy;
  4. An original certificate of termination of a prior marriage (i.e. divorce or death certificate), if applicable, plus one photocopy;
  5. If only one parent is a U.S. citizen, that parent must complete an affidavit of physical presence in the United States and provide evidence that s/he was physically present in the United States for the requisite period (see above) before the child’s birth and that s/he meets the requirements for transmission of citizenship;
  6. Typed Form DS-2029  Application for Consular Report of Birth Abroad and Form SS-5 Application for Social Security Card;
  7. The appropriate fee (PDF 146 KB) , payable in cash or by credit card.
  8. The official record of the child’s birth is in the form of a Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America (FS-240). This document is considered a basic United States citizenship document. An original FS-240 is furnished to the parents at the time the registration is approved.

For information on applying for the child’s passport, please visit our Passports for Minors page.

Note: If you schedule an appointment for passport services, please remember to bring two forms of identification.  The guards will need to keep one form of identification while you are in the building.