Travel Advisory Update May 17, 2019
Oman – Level 1: Exercise Normal Precautions
Exercise normal precautions in Oman. Some areas have increased risk. Read the entire Travel Advisory.
Do not travel to:
- The Yemen border area due to terrorism and armed conflict.
Read the Safety and Security section on the country information page.
Due to risks to civil aviation operating within the Persian Gulf and the Gulf of Oman region, including Oman, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has issued a Notice to Airmen (NOTAM) and/or a Special Federal Aviation Regulation (SFAR). For more information U.S. citizens should consult the Federal Aviation Administration’s Prohibitions, Restrictions and Notices.
If you decide to travel to Oman:
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
- Review the Crime and Safety Report for Oman.
- U.S. citizens who travel abroad should always have a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.
Yemen Border Area
Terrorist attacks and violence continue in Yemen. Crossing the border into Yemen can be dangerous, and U.S. citizens who attempt to cross the Oman-Yemen border, from either Oman or Yemen, may be detained by Omani authorities.
Visit our website for High-Risk Travelers.
Last Update: Reissued after periodic review with addition of NOTAM.