Demonstration Alert: U.S. Embassy Muscat, Oman – October 18, 2023
Event: The Embassy has received reports of a planned demonstration today at 4:00 p.m. in the Shatti Al Qurm beachfront area in Muscat. There are also reports of planned demonstrations in Muscat tomorrow and Friday. U.S. citizens should exercise caution and avoid large gatherings
The Embassy encourages U.S. citizens to enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate them in an emergency. Should citizens require immediate assistance, they should contact the Royal Oman Police at 9999.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Avoid areas with demonstrations and keep a low profile.
- Be alert to what is going on around you. Make sure to look around (and occasionally behind) yourself.
- Exercise vigilance when visiting malls, hotels, supermarkets, or crowded areas.
- If you notice someone is following or watching you, move to a public location and call the local police at 9999.
- Make sure your family is aware of your daily plans and how to reach you.
- If staying in a hotel, be aware of the hotel’s evacuation plan and know how you would exit in case of an emergency.
- Park your vehicle in locations near or easily accessible to exits. During emergencies it may be difficult to quickly exit shopping centers or crowded parking lots.
- Vary your times and routes to and from work and other frequently visited places.
- Keep your residence doors locked and windows closed.
- Check the interior and exterior of your vehicle prior to getting in, and look for things that are irregular or abnormal.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Communication is key. Develop a PACE (Primary, Alternate, Contingency, Emergency) communication plan with friends and family.
U.S. Embassy Muscat, Oman
Jamiat A’Duwal Al Arabiya Street,
Al Khuwair Area (Shatti Al-Qurum),
Tel: +(968) 2464-3400; For after-hours emergencies, dial +968-2464-3400, and press zero.
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Oman Country Information
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.